Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Cup of Joy: Peter's Faith

I have been reading this book for my small group. And, at first I will admit. This book looks a bit dull...and a bit like a wannabe Jesus Christ Superstar.  The phrase, "Don't judge a book by its cover," comes to mind. This book is not at all dull, and provides practical ways to be a modern disciple. 

All this being said, the text really stands out to me. Specifically, the story of Peter that Bill Hull reiterates. In   Luke 5:1-11 Jesus calls his first disciples. Peter's character is really exemplified in this text. I don't really know what it would be like to be a fisherman during that time, but I do understand that it wasn't a highly coveted career. However, Peter was good at his job. He Knew the intricacies of catching fish. So, when Jesus, a carpenter, tells him how to do his job I can only imagine how hard it was to trust him. He even questions Jesus. Bill Hull points out that it seems as if Peter is really saying: "I don't mind you preaching on my boat, but you don't need to interfere with my business. You are not a fisherman. I know what I'm doing." Yet, Peter still decided to trust Jesus' judgement. He had to have looked ridiculous. He risked his credentials, reputation, and time in order to follow Jesus' instructions. And, it paid off big time. 
China_fish

I think about this, and I can't help but thinking of all the time I compartmentalize Jesus into this nice little box. I tend to think of Jesus only as a preacher/teacher at a pulpit. Only, in reality, He knows a lot more about Everything. He would be 10 million times better at any profession or hobby. He is all knowing. Yet, I only allow him into my life on my time schedule. It doesn't make sense. Peter took a huge risk trusting Jesus and it paid off. He was willing to be made a fool. I can barely find 10 minutes to devote to Him. 

The Lord tested Peter's faith and he passed. He was humbled by the experience. He was ready to drop out of the whole disciple gig, and Jesus hit him right at home. In a place where it would truly affect Peter. It happens to me all the time. I get so caught up in my own toils and troubles that I completely forget to pull out the Jesus box in my life. Then, when my faith is truly tested, I quickly remember my good friend Jesus.  And it is only with His help I can truly succeed. 

So with all this, I just want to encourage you to make Jesus a key component in your life. Take him out of the box. The world makes it so easy to think we can do everything on our own. But, I'm telling you from personal experience, we can't. We need Jesus to come and save us. Every. Time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment