Thursday, August 18, 2011

BBQ Pasta Bake. Yum!

Aahhhh! I can't believe I wasn't able to post yesterday! Between not feeling too well, attempting to train, starting an exciting project, and spending time with good friends I simply got distracted. I apologize.

I will make it up to you with this great recipe! Again from How Sweet It Is. I have really started to like this whole cooking business. While trying new recipes, I am able to enjoy quality time with new and old friends. And they are an excellent help. This recipe would have gone terribly wrong if one of my friends wouldn't have been there to help me with the roux. It would have helped if I knew what  a Roux was.


This recipe is somewhat adapted

Here is what I got:

1 medium package of cooked pasta
2 pieces of boneless chicken breast, shredded
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil 
1/2 tablespoon butter
1/2 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup milk
1 bag of shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1 small onion, sliced
Preheat oven to 350.
Prepare pasta and shredded chicken and set aside. In a small sauce pan, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and sliced onions with a sprinkle of sea salt and let caramelized – about 10 minutes.  During this time, combine shredded chicken with 2 tablespoons bbq sauce. Once onions are caramelized, set aside.
In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and whisk in flour to create a roux. Immediately add milk and turn down to low heat. Add a small amount of cheese and stir until cheese is melted and mixture thickens – about 2-3 minutes.
In the casserole dish, alternate layering pasta, bbq chicken, and onions. Add cheese mixture, throughly mixing it all together. Top with additional cheese sauce, remaining shredded cheese, BBQ sauce drizzles and panko bread crumbs.
Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
Yum!
I am not one for leftovers most of the time. But this one, I could not get enough of it! The cheese sauce gives it this creamy texture. The BBQ sauce adds a great tangy flavor. And, who doesn't love cheese? 



1 comment:

  1. That looks so good! I saw it on Sweet and wanted to try it out and you just made that decision a for sure one.

    ReplyDelete